Friday, January 9, 2009

Sick Baby

Our little Jocelyn is sick. She has had a cough and a runny nose for about a week. She began rubbing her ears so on Wednesday I decided to take her into the doctor to get her ears checked. Her ears were fine but her lungs sounded terrible. She they checked her breathing and she was below where she should be. They then did a chest x-ray. From the x-ray the doctors (yes there were two involved at this point) thought that it may be pneumonia. They needed to send in the x-ray to a technician to get a for sure diagnosis. So they sent us home with an oxygen machine and prescribed her some anti-biotics. The other option would be to have her hospitalized and monitored there. So after three hours in the doctor's office we took her home. I made a bed in her room that night so that I could watch her and be with her. We took her into the doctor again on Thursday. The tech had read the x-ray and said it was not pneumonia. What he thought it was was either asthma, bronchiolitis, or RSV. So she is still on the oxygen and we are now doing breathing treatments with her several times a day. All in all she is doing fine and she is still happy and playful. You can tell that her coughing is painful and she dislikes the tubes in her nose, but she tolerates it. I've had several friends help me and lots of concerned phone calls. Thank you Kim for coming to my rescue and taking my other kids home from the doctor's office. Thank you Jenny for the concern and for the chocolate, soda, and book. I have some really great friends. Thank you Casey for helping Jon give Jocelyn a blessing. It's nice to know that we can call on people to help and they are there no matter what.

Jocelyn sleeping.
Jocelyn standing by the oxygen tank.
Taking a bath. As you can tell she is still happy.
My sister Tayler holding Jocelyn by her new oxygen machine. Since she still needed the oxygen after the first day they set us up with this machine. It has a longer cord so that she can walk around better and it uses the air in the room to make oxygen so it never runs out. Tayler has been staying with me for two weeks and I am so glad I have her. She has been such a big help with Jocelyn. Thank you so much Tayler.

I took Jocelyn to the doctor today (friday). Her lungs are sounding better but her breathing is still below where it should be. So she will be on oxygen and have breathing treatments for another week.

13 comments:

Garrett and Rebecca said...

she looks like a little cute granny with her oxygen tubes in. I hope she feels better soon. We sure love her and your family

ashley said...

good thing you took her in. as the mom of a boy with asthma i totally sympathize with the breathing treatments. its hard to get them to sit still although Ty loves them now when he's sick since he knows just how much better it makes him feel. hope she gets better soon!

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Im glad she is going to be ok!

RaQuelle Willey said...

oh, my heart goes out to you. I'm sorry she is sick. I wish I lived close and there was more I could do to help. But she is in our prayers. I'm impressed with how Happy she is trying to be through it all, what a girl!
keep us updated

Natalie said...

I sure hope she recovers soon! She is a doll! She looks like she is handling it well...I hope you are too. I know it would scare me...at least at first.

Scott and Jess said...

christy!!! I am so sorry! this makes me so sad. i sure hope she is ok!!! i love you

Marcia said...

I know exactly what you are going through. Michael was diagnosed with asthma about a year ago. It was very scary when his breathing was so bad. At least now he realizes that the breathing treatments help him and he does it himself.(mostly)

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that she is sick. It's scary when your little has so much trouble breathing, and you know there is nothing you can do. Addsyon has asthma, but luckily has never had to be on oxygen.

Heidi Mecham said...

I hope she will be feeling better soon. That is not fun! That's good she's still happy and in good spirits. Hope you are holding up ok.

Ciera said...

I told Jon on the phone that Ashelynn had to do breathing treatments every winter for the first 3 years of her life. Sometimes linger than a week also. They really helped her. Poor Jocelyn! She still looks cute even with oxygen on her nose!
Call me if you need help with the boys!

Sarah said...

So sorry Christine. It is so sad having a sick baby. Check my blog, I just had surgery, but I am doing much better now. I will pray for you and Jocelyn too. Hang in there.

Evie B said...

christy!!! i had no idea she was sick but those pics of her are so flipping cute!!! she looks so cute even with the tubes in your nose!!! oh man i love that girl!!! and i hope she gets feeling better and can breath normal!!! love you

Amber Warner said...

I'm so sorry she is so sick. We found out my niece had asthma when she was about 4 months old and I happened to have her for 2 weeks during this time so I know the breathing treatments well. I wish I was closer so I could help out but I'm glad you have good friends there. She sure is a cutie. I hope she feels better soon.